Mahr Impex UK Limited (also trading as Mahr Surgical) supplies branded consumables, standard instruments and customised surgical products to healthcare providers in the United Kingdom.
Resulting from its business operations, the Company acknowledges its obligations towards its customers, employees and the communities in which it works, and has decided to document its policy in relation to labour standards and for this document to be approved by senior management; specifically, by the Director.
Mahr Surgical’s management define this policy as relevant to the organisation itself, its suppliers and other parties engaged through the supply chain.
Scope of Policy
In the first instance, Mahr Surgical is applying this policy to the products it will be supplying into the NHS via the following Framework Agreements: –
NHS Supply Chain
Supply of Disposable and Washable Continence Care and Associated Products
OJEU reference: 2016/S 200-361621
LOT 7 – Disposable Under-pads – Virgin Fluff
HSC Business Services Organisation
Wound Closure – Surgical Suture products – Tender 629035
NHS Shared Business Services
Surgical Instrumentation Framework
Nature and Scale
Mahr Surgical is seeking to implement a policy which is appropriate in nature and scale to the company and in line with its status, as defined by EU law, as an SME.
Corporate and Social Responsibility
Mahr Surgical is committed to supporting our employees, our customers and our local community. We will train our workforce to ensure the highest standards are met, and reward them accordingly. We will endeavour to meet the highest levels of service to our customers.
- Continually improve and monitor corporate and social responsibility performance.
- Increase employee awareness and training.
- We will deal with all our customers and suppliers in an open and honest way.
- We will handle any complaints in a helpful manner, always seeking out a solution that benefits both the customer and the company.
- We will support local groups that promote education and sporting fitness.
- We will support an international group that promotes education and sporting fitness.
- We will encourage our employees to be active and involved in their local community.
- We will not be involved in the giving or receiving of bribes or gifts as an inducement to gain any kind of commercial advantage.
- We will not entertain any practice that can be deemed dishonest, illegal or might be seen as a breach of trust.
To help it identify a defined set of minimum labour standards, Mahr Surgical has particularly referred to the following resources:-
- NHS Code of Practice
- Labour Standards Assurance Scheme
- International Labour Organisation (ILO)
- UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
These minimum labour standards are: –
1. Child Labour
The Company does not engage in or support the use of child labour, defined as labour that:
- Is mentally, physically, socially or morally dangerous and harmful to children; and
- interferes with their schooling by:
- depriving them of the opportunity to attend school;
- obliging them to leave school prematurely; or
- requiring them to attempt to combine school attendance with excessively long and heavy work.
- 2. Forced & Compulsory Labour
The Company shall not engage in or support the use of forced or compulsory labour, or bonded or involuntary prison labour. Employees are free to leave upon reasonable notice.
3. Health & Safety
The Company shall provide a safe and healthy workplace environment and shall take effective steps to prevent potential accidents and injury to employees’ health by minimizing, so far as is reasonably practicable, and in co-operation with its employees, the causes of hazards inherent in the workplace. All employees will receive safety and job specific instructions during their employment with the company. Employees shall have access to clean sanitary facilities and drinking water.
Responsibility for implementing the Health & Safety element of this policy is assigned the Director.
4. Freedom of Association
The freedom of association is respected and the Company will comply with UK labour relations legislation in this regard.
The Company shall not engage in or support any discriminatory practices in hiring, remuneration, access to training, promotion, termination or retirement based on race, national or social origin, caste, religion, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliations, age or other conditions that could give rise to discrimination. The Company has an Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy which is shown to all new employees at induction.
6. Disciplinary Practices
The Company shall treat all employees with dignity and respect. The Company shall not engage in or tolerate the use of corporal punishment, mental or physical coercion or verbal abuse of personnel. No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed.
7. Working Hours and Legal Rights
The Company shall comply with applicable national laws and industry standards on working hours and holiday entitlements. The Company ensures all employees have the legal right to be employed in the UK
The Company shall comply with national laws and regulations regarding wages and benefits. All work-related activities are carried out based on a recognised employment relationship established according to national law and practice
The Company also commits to:-
- Compliance with relevant legal undertakings
- Ensure that all its key contractors, suppliers are aware of this policy and aspire to the same standards
- Make available sufficient resources for the implementation of this policy.
- Carry out regular reviews of this policy to ensure that it remains fit for which it is intended.
Roles and Responsibility
The ultimate responsibility for the maintenance and adherence to this policy lies with the company’s senior director, Paul Sewell. The Director has reviewed the NHS Code of Practice document and video and taken advice from a qualified assessor. Any compliance issues should be directed to him in the first instance.
Further information on Mahr Surgical policies are available in the Quality Management Manual which is freely available on request.